An eclectic and talented musician, composer and arranger, Mr. Liceaga is a native of Mexico City and received his education at the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México -Escuela Nacional de Música, Mexico City, Mexico. His career as a flamenco guitarist began in 1987 with the collaboration of the well known dancer Ricardo Montoya, with whom he worked for three years. In the same period, he performed nightly in the more famous tablaos and flamenco peñas in Mexico City, including Gitanerias, Corral de la Moreria and Meson Triana where many of the greatest flamenco artists performed over the years. Mr. Liceaga has accompanied artists such as Mercedes Amaya, Luisa de Cádiz, Domingo Ortega, Omayra Amaya, Jesus Montoya, La Tania and Sara de Luis. He has collaborated under the direction of Cristobal Reyes and Cristina Aguirre in Mexico City and has performed as a flamenco guitarist in important theaters such as Palacio de las Bellas Artes, Auditorio Nacional and Teatro de la Danza in Mexico City, as well as Palace of Fine Arts, Yerba Buena Center, Cowell Theatre, Brava Theatre in San Francisco and Paramount Theatre in Oakland, California. He has been the musical director for Virginia Iglesias’ Flamenco Dance Company for the past 18 years.
Mr. Liceaga’s musical background includes Potaje Ensamble collaborating as flamenco guitarist. In the same period he collaborated with Orquesta La Moderna Tradición for seven years as guitarist and guitar tres player. He is also is co-founder of the musical ensemble Cascada de Flores based in Richmond, California which interprets Mexican folklore and popular music.
Mr. Liceaga has toured both nationally and internationally, with his various performing groups and played at such important venues as Lincoln Center / New York, The Smith Opera House / Geneva, New York, Telluride Jazz Festival / Denver, Royce Hall / UCLA, Teatro Principal de Zamora / Zamora, Spain, International Festival of Trova “Pepe Sanchez” /Santiago, Cuba, National Hispanic Cultural Center / Albuquerque NM, Zocalo Plaza Mexico City.
Jorge Liceaga, Musical Director
- RADIO FLOR- Cascada de Flores / 2013 / Arranger, guitar player, tres and requinto jarocho
- MI SUEÑO- Cascada de Flores / 2008 / Arranger, guitar player, tres and requinto jarocho
- PUENTE A LA MAR- Cascada de Flores / 2002 / Arranger, guitar player, tres guitar player
- MEXICO – Cascada de Flores / 2001 / Arranger, guitar player, tres guitar player.
- GOZA CONMIGO – Orquesta La Moderna Tradición / 2000 / Tres guitar player.
- DANZONEMOS – Orquesta La Moderna Tradición / 1997 / Tres guitar player.
- CHARANGA FLAMENCA – Potaje / 1997 / Flamenco and Latin American guitar player.
- A LA ORILLA DEL VIENTO – Gabriela Huesca & Grupo Katá / 1994 / Musical direction, arrangements, composing, guitar and percussion player.
- GLOBOS, SIRENAS, Y ALGO MÁS – Gabriela Huesca & Grupo Katá / 1994 / Musical direction, arrangements, composing, guitar and percussion player.
- DESDE UN PAÍS DE AMÉRICA / 1991 / Taller de Iniciación Musical Infantil, Escuela Popular de Arte, Mexico City, Mexico – Percussionist, assistant musical director.